I definitely had to be ruthless to make the story fit the requirements. It reminds me of William Faulkner's advice to "kill your darlings," when writing. If it didn't advance the story, I cut it, no matter how good or interesting it was.
I was lucky in that the photographs I had told the story pretty well. I did take more when I spotted an opportunity, but I didn't have to go out of my way.
Working with Soundslides wasn't that difficult, aside from the exporting and uploading issues. It was irritating how mistakes that were invisible to me when listening in Audacity suddenly became so much more noticeable when trying to pair it with pictures.